Sunday, April 11, 2010

Reflection on Oral presentation

Trying to find a place to hide, even if there was a mouse hole i would try to hide inside there.

This is what exactlly i felt after the presentation...

Our group since there is two exchange student and one full time student me and shine tried our best not to block Lionel's way. At least we should help him in a good way not in a way that he would be exhuasted or deducted in score. Even though evidence show(our wikis) that lionel did all the huge works, such as, finalizing the whole purposal, I can say I have did my best on this project. (I think including my life in Korea University, this semester is the 2nd hardest semester and hardworking semester to me... My 1st rank is the 5th semester which I took about 22 credits...)
This is not only because I really wanted to achieve something from this module but also because I loved my own group and wanted to help them out.


D-day finally came.... I was standing in the same place as I did last week and 2 months ago. But this time I felt like thousands of truck running toward me. Making me feel dizzy. Through all my 4 years of study and presentation this one is the most toughest.



- Delivery
: Compared to what I have done in past two presentation, my delivery didn't improve that much. The tone of my voice wasn't that large enough, eye-contacted with several people instead of all the audience, taking a deep breath which was very very large take away the audience attention and so on. But learned from this presentation that the ment I have used in the beginning helps alot gathering attention.

- Fluence
: Due to less preparation for the presentation, I have missed 1 whole prase I have practiced. And since it was my first time using a cue card I had trouble finding myself.
(Parts I have memorized just go on but suddenly when I cannot remember what I am spose to talk I need to use the cue card. But since I forgot to keep on shifting the cue card, I was standing there trying to find the right cue card)

- Group work
: As a group (not sure what others will think) I think I have done quite well. As I learned in Korea every single member should be responsible in his/her own work and I did what I have learned. Also I tried to match others time, and tried to avoid conflict. And whenever it occurs I listened more than talking my own opinion.


Overall, this time presentation and this module have introduced me a wonderful world of 'Professional Communication'. How to improve myself, how to work as a team, and how to deal with intercultural problems.

Would like to say Thank you Lionel, Shine !
Thank you Dr. Jaidev and Thank you Class !!!!!!!!!!

After I go back to Korea I will miss all the memories...... T_T.....

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mike,

    Do not say that. You are definitely not blocking my way and there is actually nothing to block also. So do not be too hard on yourself kay?

    I think that you did a fine attempt for the presentation itself. You took all the pointers that we were sharing during our dry runs and tried to incorporate it into your presentation and I am sure that we saw the fruits of your hard work.

    Your tone and pace was good. You even make effort to speak to the audience and interact with them through humour. At times i think you went a little fast but on the whole i think that it was good.

    It was a good attempt for you as English is not your main language and I am sure we all see that as well.

    It is also an honour and a pleasure to be working with Shine and you too. Yes we shall go for dinner too ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike!

    With regards to the cue cards, honestly, I don't advise using them because one tends to rely on it too much and can fumble very badly should they mix up their arrangement. Instead, let me suggest that you use understanding rather than memorizing and cue cards in your next presentation.

    Understanding the topic deeply enables one to speak your mind freely. The sentences may not always come out the same way or with the same words with each practice, but thats the best part of it; you'll never have to forget a line or a word and the best way to express it is through your own personal understanding of the matter and you will also come across as more genuine and natural in your tone and body movements.

    Another thing I noticed is that you like to say "may I start?"

    I feel this practice seems a little out of place in a presentation when everybody expects you to start already. Hence, this part can be left out. Perhaps this may be a common practice in Korea but let me suggest that you use "let me begin..." instead of asking the audience if you can start and waiting for a response.

    Just a few thoughts. but overall, I felt you did much better than the first presentation as you seemed more confident (except for your intermittent blowing of air) haha.

    Well done. I wish I can speak korean as well as you speak english.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mike! The software is Prezi!

    I think that the best presentation method is one that you are most comfortable me. I agree with Jonathan on the matter of cue cards. Personally I do not like to use cue cards as I tend to rely on it even though I already know what I need to say. In a way, instead of helping me, cue cards hinder my flow of thoughts. If you are more comfortable with talking without any cue cards, I think you should just be confident and present without them!

    As usual, I like your voice! It has a lot of presence as it has the effect of making people listen to what you are saying.

    However, I could feel your nervousness from your occasional deep breathing during your presentation. I think you already quite fluent in English and I could easily follow and understand what you are presenting, so you should be more confident!

    Overall, I think that you did a great job. It is not easy to converse in a foreign language, let alone presenting!

    ReplyDelete