Sunday, February 14, 2010

Intercultural communication problems

Hello, xin nian kuai le (Happy New Year ~!!!)

Today I also had a long day, How was your's day? ^_^

As almost (maybe everyone?) everyone in class knows, me myself is a exchange student from Korea. It will take like 5 hours to write every difference and so on... (little bit joke? kk)

Before starting about my own experience, I think i should give some basic information about myself to help everyone about why i can feel like that. I was born in Korea but when I was 1 yrs old my family went to United State. And then around 12 yrs old I went back to Korea and stayed there until I came to Singapore. So mostly my character was built in U.S. and 40% of Korean Style.

May I start?

When I first came to singapore I didn't have that much problem talking or interacting with peoples here. It might because Singaporeans are used to so many people from all over the world, and they know how to communicate with them. And maybe because Korea and Singapore shares similar culture that is called 'Asian Country Common Culture', such as, Being in hurry when they need to, likes to hang out with friends not only one or two in big group.
In addition, 'Korean Wave' might have helped me out. Korean soap drama, singers.

But there was some conflict with others. The major problem I had was some misunderstood with Europian, even Americans.

Here is one example, I was in a group project. We had 5 peoples in our group. It was my chinese module and we were spose to do a play in chinese for our final term presentation.
At first there wasn't any problem, spliting up assignment for each person, deciding how often we should meet. We were satisfied with our group the atmosphere was very smooth going, very comfortable. And even though we had 1 month left for the presentation everyone put one's hardest effort.

After our draft was made, we needed to gather and practice since we are doing a play in front of the class. Having some practice on tuesday we decided to practice on wednsday, since our play was on thursday. But one of the American friend said that he can only show up at 12 pm to 1 pm. And the reason was that he needed to attend class from 9 to 11:30, and need to have lunch, and after that from 1 pm he need to meet all of his 6 class tutor for questions he had.

So we asked 'when is your test?', he said 'after 2 weeks'... We were all standing there with a WHAT?? face. We told him since our play is tomorrow and we really need to practice if we want to do the performance smoothly. And he said his meeting with his tutor is also important, so he can't take up more than one hour for practice.

We tried to make him understand since he is the one that wanted the main role we gave the role to him, but now he is acting like he is someone that isn't that important in the senario.. So me and couple of friends gave up, and was upset since we skipped several lecture because of this.

This was not the end. On presentation day, even after class had started he didn't show up. Our class was from 4 pm to 6 pm, and he said he have a field trip from 12 pm to 4 pm, and show up no later than 4:15. Since our group number was quite the last one we said o.k. The problem was he showed up at 5:10(our presentation spose to be on 4:50, and because he didn't show up we ask our next group to do first) drunked.. Not heavly, but quite drunked that he kept on forgoting when he should act, which place that he is spose to be standing, didn't memorize his script.

Is this because of cultural difference? Or is this something else?

If you were in my Situation what would you have done?

4 comments:

  1. oh so that's what happened during your chinese 1 project. It's just too bad it turned out that way.

    For our group project you don't have to worry about such things happening. We will all do our best =)

    and 恭喜发财 to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow that sounds to me like pure irresponsible behaviour which is a no-no in any culture! I don't think any culture would condone such behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Mike!

    I doubt its a cultural difference there. More along the lines of personal responsibility.

    However something i find strange is that u guys had 1 month to prepare but u guys only met up like twice to practice? u met up on tuesday, wednesday and then thursday was the main day already. I felt that this might have been a problem with your team's planning as well.

    Everybody should be on the same page by the week of the presentation and everything should have been settled to prevent any last minute problems. With regards to him being late, I feel u should tell your teacher the entire problem because I'm sure you guys put ur best into it while he, made other things his priority.

    I've had terrible group mates before and I totally understand how you feel. The only thing i regret is not nipping problems in the bud before they become bigger.

    jon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mike,

    This situation is rather tricky thou. I am really not too sure if this is due to the culturally differences or not but rather, I feel it is more of a personal responsibility than a cultural one. I believe that most cultures would promote one to be hard working and be responsible and to do your work.

    I believe if you knew about the situation before hand you can actually talk to the teacher about it and see if it can help. Or maybe you can try talking to him about this issue.

    I think that sometimes it is people like this that sometimes gives others a bad impression of their culture.

    Just some of my thoughts

    ReplyDelete